Posted by LetThereBeCake07This is an old family recipe my first mother in law made for my northern family. It was the only red velevet cake i ever knew. Its not the chocolate cake you dye red with tons of food coloring and then topping with cream cheese frosting, this is the real deal with old fashion cooked "puding" flour and milk frosting. You haven't had "real" red velvet till youve had this!
Old fashion red velvet cake with flour and milk frosting
- 1/2 cup veg shortening 1 1/2 cup sugar 2 eggs 2 cups of flour 1 Tbsp cocoa 1/2 tsp slt 1 cup buttermilk 1 tsp vanilla 2 Tbsp red food color 1 tsp baking soda 1 Tbsp vinegar
- A. preheat oven to 350
- B. Grease and line pans with wax paper. either two 8" or one 8x11 or 9x13
- 1. cream shortening, sugar and eggs
- 2. sift flour, cocoa and salt
- 3. add flour mixture to shortning mixture alternating with buttermilk
- 4. add vanilla and food color..mix extreamly slow or you will have red dots all over your kitchen untill its blended in, then you can turn up the speed to med low.
- 5. lightly mix in baking soada and vinegar
- bake 25 mins or until done DO NOT OVERBAKE!
- top with flour and milk frosting
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup veg shortening
- 1/2 stick butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1. cook milk, flour and salt over low heat to a pudding stage, set aside to cool.
- 2. cream remaining ingredients together, add cooled pudding mixture and beat all together until its a good spreading consistancy.
- 3. refridgerate (i put it in the fridge once im done but then after that it can sit out on the counter and be fine as long as its not too hot outside. who cares when its this good :)