Posted by melkneecThis recipe has been passed down in our family. It is a family favorite. I'm not a big fan of gingerbread cookies but love these little cakes. Good thing I only make them once a year. :) Not a good gingerbread to make house of but very good to eat!
Old Fashion Gingerbread
- GINGERBREAD: 10 cups self-rising flour, sifted 3 tsp of ginger 1 tsp of allspice 4 cups of granulated sugar 1 ½ cups brown sugar, packed 1 cup of Wesson oil 1 ½ cups of buttermilk 1 cup of molasses 5 large eggs, whole GLAZE: 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp allspice, 1 ½ cups brown sugar, ½ cup water
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the flour, ginger, allspice, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Pour in Wesson oil, buttermilk and molasses. Add eggs. Blend well with a large spoon or with hands. Batter should be very thick. Knead slightly. Donâ??t over knead. Pinch off small amounts of batter as if making biscuits. Roll slightly in flour. Place onto a large prebuttered cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 325* to 375* (depending on temperature of oven). Bake about 11-15 minutes depending on size of cakes. Makes approximately 60 small cakes.
- *tip* I use cupcake pan to bake my little cakes and it makes about 75. I bake for 12 mins.
- Blend all ingredients. Cook over medium heat to make a light to medium syrup. Brush on top of cooled gingerbread cakes.
- *tip* I make a double batch of glaze for 75 cakes and have some glaze left over.