Posted by tytyI had a few members who asked if I would post this recipe. It is my number 1 request. This is my version, the original calls for pineapple, raisins and margarine, I don't use any of these. It may look like a lot but it is really easy if you prep your sweet potatos and chop your nuts ahead. Sweet potatos can be prepared, portioned and placed in zip-loc freezer bags. Just thaw when needed.
Moist Sweet Potato Cake
- 2 1/2 cups AP flour plus 2 Tbs 2 tsp baking soda 2 tsp baking powder 1/4 tsp salt 2 tsp cinnamon 2 tsp nutmeg 1 cup granulated sugar 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter 1 cup brown sugar 3 large eggs 1 Tbs vanilla extract 2 1/2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatos 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 9 inch, 3 8 inch or bundt pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and granulated sugar. Set aside. In the bowl of a mixer, cream butter and brown sugar on low speed, then increase speed to medium and beat until well combined. Gradually add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed until just incorporated. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each and scraping down the sides of bowl after each addition of egg. Add vanilla, sweet potatos and walnuts. Blend on low until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour batter info pan/pans and smooth with metal spatula. Bake for 1 hr to 1 hr and 10 mins, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. When you touch the center of the cake it should spring back. Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto rack to cool completely
- For the cream cheese icing I like to use Earlene's recipe. I have also used BC flavored with cream bouquet.