Posted by staceybootsThis cake is moist and tangy! The taste of lemons will linger on your tongue long after you have taken the last bite! This recipe is a variation of the 1-2-3-4 Yellow Cake recipe found here on CC
Lemon Cake II
- Ingredients for the Cake: 2 ½ cups + 2 Tbsps all-purpose flour 6 Tbsps cornstarch 3 tsps baking powder ½ tsp salt 8 ounces margarine/butter 2 cups sugar 4 eggs, separated 6 Tbsps freshly grated lemon zest 1 ½ cups buttermilk 2 tsps lemon extract 4 Tbsps lemon juice Ingredients for the Syrup: 8 Tbsps lemon juice 8 Tbsps sugar
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Grease and flour pans.
- Sift and combine all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Cream margarine/butter and sugar.
- Add egg yolks one at a time to the creamed mixture. Add lemon zest.
- In a measuring cup or bowl, combine the lemon juice, lemon essence and buttermilk.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and buttermilk mixture to the cake batter, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- In a CLEAN mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (but not dry).
- Gently fold egg whites into the cake batter using a wooden spoon or plastic spatula.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake until done.
- Remove cakes from the oven and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ingredients for syrup in small saucepan, cooking over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- While the cakes are still in the pan, poke holes in the top of the cakes. Spoon lemon syrup over cakes. (The amount of syrup used is a matter of personal preference.)
- Allow cakes to cool completely before decorating or freezing.