Posted by jdelectablesThis is a buttercream that I adapted from my usual buttercream frosting, with a suggestion to add flour to cut the sweetness. Make sure you whip it for at least 6 minutes once all the powdered sugar is added to make it fluffy and light. It's become my standard buttercream frosting after MANY tries at other recipes. This yields ALOT. I'm not sure how many cups, never measured, but this yields enough for probably 2 - 8" cakes (2-layers). I have frozen this with no problems. Enjoy!
Julie's Less-Sweet Buttercream Frosting
- 2 c. butter, softened to room temp. 2 c. shortening (I use Crisco) 4 t. vanilla extract 2 t. almond extract 1/4 c. all-purpose flour 3 lbs. 10x confectioner's sugar 2-4 T. milk
- Cream butter, shortening, and extracts until light and fluffy - about 5 minutes.
- Add flour to creamed fat mixture. Beat until thoroughly combined. Add powdered sugar, about 1/2 lb. at a time, beating until combined. When all sugar has been added and combined, add 2-4 T. milk, depending upon consistency desired. Beat for an additional 6-8 minutes on medium speed.
- I use my KA Professional 600 for this and it works fine. Recipe can easily be halved.
- This frosting is a crusting buttercream and can be smoothed using the VIVA method.