Posted by indydebi
I was given this recipe over 25 years ago by a friend and it's the only icing recipe I've ever used. (I actually didn't know there were other "wedding cake icing" recipes out there!). All measurements are approximate since I'm a "until it looks right cook". Too thin? Add more sugar. Too thick? Add more milk. Luv the flavor of vanilla? Throw lots of it in there! This icing crusts VERY well and holds up great in extreme heat and humidity (passed the "sat outdoors in 90 degrees in August humidity in Indiana for over 5 hours" test!)
Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing
- 1-1/3 cups Cricso 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
- 3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (*)
- 2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on your personal taste
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- (*) A powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods, usually found in the cake/sugar aisle in the grocery.
- There's no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar for a minute or two, then gradually add the sugar, but the only reason I did this was to avoid the "sugar-splash" factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.