Posted by denise2434Holy Cow!! These are the best scratch cupcakes! I'm not a big scratch cake/cupcake baker...they always come out to heavy and dense for my taste. I found this recipe on Recipe*Zaar and gave it a try because I was too lazy to go to the store to get a box mix. WOW!! These are light and fluffy!!! I wanted to share with everyone. I hope you like them!!! You just need to make sure to follow the recipe exactly! YUM!!!
I Can't Believe it's Not Box Cake Mix! Scratch Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature 1/4 cup Crisco shortening, room temperature 2 cups sugar, ground in the processor until fine (measure before processing) 4 large eggs 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 1/8 teaspoon almond extract or lemon extract 1/4 teaspoon salt 2 3/4 cups cake flour or all-purpose flour (or combined together) 1 tablespoon baking powder 1 cup warm half-and-half cream or full-fat milk (this is important, warm the milk! It doesn't need to be hot just warm to the touch.)
- 1. Set oven to 375 degrees (will reduce oven temperature just before baking cupcakes).
- 2. Line 24 muffin pans with paper cupcake liners.
- 3. In an electric mixer, cream butter and shortening until fluffy.
- 4. Add in the eggs(one at a time) and the extracts and beat about 3-4 minutes on high speed (the mixture will seem to be a bit lumpy but will even out when you add in the sugar).
- 5. Add in the sugar; beat well (another 3 minutes) until sugar is COMPLETELY combined.
- 6. In a bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking powder.
- 7.Blend into the creamed ingredients, along with the warm milk until smooth (about 3 minutes).
- 8. Fill the prepared pans about two-thirds full.
- 9.IMMEDIATELY, reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Place the cupcakes in oven, and bake for about 20-24 minutes, or until the cupcakes test done.
- ***NOTE: I just use 2 cups icing sugar and 1/2 cup white granulated sugar instead of processing the sugar, it works out fine this way.