Posted by terayfor many, it is difficult to bake. for me, its heaven... that is why i sometimes call it Dream Cake! because when you look at it, you feel you are dreaming. haha.
Dream dulce de leche cake
- for the caramel: 1 cup regular white sugar 1/4 cup water pinch of cream of tartar for the custard effect: 6 egg yolks 1 whole egg 1 cup evap milk 1 cup condensed milk 2 tsps grated lemon (optional) for the cake: 2 1/4 cup sifted cake flour (plain flour will do actually) 2/3 cup caster sugar 1 tbsp sifted baking powder 1/2 cup corn oil 8 egg yolks 2/3 cup water 1tsp salt 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 8 egg whites 1/2 tsp cream of tartar 2/3 cup caster sugar
- -preheat oven to 350F. prepare the caramel in a large pan by combining sugar,water and cream of tartar. mix well with spoon and place over medium heat. do not stir until its boiling.allow sugar to caramelize to a light golden brown.
- -immediately pour and spread caramel into a 9x13 inches baking pan (3 inches high)
- -combine the custard ingredients in a mixing bowl. whisk until even then strain. i strain them 3-4 times. then stir in grated lemon. transfer the mixture to the caramel lined pan. set aside.
- -prepare the cake. blend the first 8 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. beat with a wire whisk until smooth and lump free. set aside.
- -in another large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites then add cream of tartar until frothy. gradually add caster sugar. beat at medium speed until stiff but not dry.
- -thoroughly fold in the cake mixture to the beaten egg whites. then carefully pour the batter into the pan with the custard (dont worry. cake batter will just float)
- -bake for 1 hour and 25 minutes using a water bath (place the cake pan in a larger cake pan 1/4 filled with water). allow the cake to cool in its pan while its still in the water bath. unmold carefully and chill well before serving (well i like it when its still hot! yummmy...) happy dreaming everyone.