Posted by auntbeesbaking
I make these at Christmas. They are thick, soft cookies that are wonderful even unfrosted. You can change the flavor by using different extracts.
Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c. Crisco
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 c flour (or more -- I ALWAYS need more!)
- 1/ 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 c. sour milk ** ** I make 1/2 c. milk with 1/2 TB cider or lemon juice; let stand 5 min.)
- Mix egg, Crisco, butter, sugar and vanilla. Combine four, salt and baking soda. Alternate flour mixture and sour milk to creamed mixture. May need to add more flour to make dough very stiff.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Roll dough out thick and cut with cookie cutters that have been dipped in flour.
- Bake at 375º for 8-11 minutes.