Posted by debbiew1
Chocolate Fruit Cake
- 500g Raisins 250g Pitted Prunes, chopped 250g Pitted Dates, chopped 125g Sultanas 125g Currants 200g Glace Cherries 1 cup Rum (or Brandy or semi-sweet sherry) 250g butter, cut into small pieces 1 ½ cups dark brown sugar 1 Tablespoon vanilla essence 4 x 60g eggs 200g dark chocolate ½ cup apricot jam ½ cup apricot nectar 2 cups plain flour ½ cup self raising flour 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1.Mix the dried fruit in a bowl and add the rum and leave for 1-2 hours.
- 2.Line a 23cm round cake tin (or 2x 18cm tins) with a double layer of baking paper on sides and base. Wrap outside of tin with a double thickness of brown paper and tie with string. Heat oven to 160oC.
- 3.Beat butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy, then beat in the eggs well, one by one. Add to fruit and mix well.
- 4.Melt the chocolate in a small pan over simmering water, or in the microwave for 2 minutes, then stir in the jam and nectar and pour over the fruit. Stir well.
- 5.Fold in the flour and cinnamon, and tip the cake mixture into the prepared tin. Smooth the top and tap the pan against the worktop to settle contents and remove air holes.
- 6.Bake for 2 ½ - 3 hours (2 â?? 2 ¼ hours for 2 smaller cakes) until a skewer test comes out clean. Remove from the oven, leave in the tin, wrap in kitchen towels and leave overnight. (I sprinkled sherry over the top of the cake and then wrapped in towels)
- Tip: If wanting to store cake for up to 3 mths, replace apricot nectar with ¼ cup (extra) jam and ¼ cup (extra) alcohol. Wrap in foil or glad wrap and store.