Posted by Anonymous
This is an Austrian recipe that was passed on from one generation to the next in my family. The secret of this cake's full flavour and softness: prepare it one day in advance before eating it!
Chocolate Black Tea Cake
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup butter
- 1 2/3 cups white sugar
- 1 cup brewed black tea, cold
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 360 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch Bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the egg yolks, butter and white sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the black tea.
- Toss together the flour, baking powder, bread crumbs, cocoa powder, and hazelnuts; fold into the tea mixture until just incorporated.
- In a large clean glass or metal bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the tea batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center, comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pan for at least 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.