Posted by newlywedws
Caramel Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 2 1/2 tsp baking powder 1 tsp salt 1/2 cup unsalted butter -- softened 1 1/3 cups sugar 3 large eggs -- room temp 1 cup Caramel 1 cup water Frosting: 2 cups light brown sugar -- firmly packed 1/2 cup heavy cream 6 Tbsp unsalted butter -- softened 2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar -- sifted
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and lightly flour two 9x2 inch round cake pans. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Mix the caramel and water together, until blended.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, using medium speed of electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in thirds, alternating with the caramel mixture, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Let cake cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting: In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, place the brown sugar, cream and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat and let cool for about 20-30 minutes. Add the confectioner's sugar
- and beat with an electric mixer until the frosting is perfectly smooth. If frosting is too thick, beat in a bit more heavy cream 1 TBSP at a time
- When cake has cooled, ice between the layers, then ice top and sides of cake.