Posted by Anonymous
- There are several different options in this recipe
- Heated Chocolate Icing/Filling
- For a larger cake, double the recipe to fill. For a tube pan, this recipe will frost a cake that hasn't been torted.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 tbsp. whipping cream, un-whipped
- 1 1/2 cups sifted icing sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over minimum heat, 1 0r 2 on my stove. Stir constantly until smooth. If you are frosting a cake, use immediately. If you let it cool too much, it becomes fudge like. If you are using as a filling, remember to place a bead of buttercream icing on the outer rim of your cake so the filling won't seep through. As a filling, you should cool to room temperature, whisk and pour onto cake. Let it set a few minutes before placing top layer over filling.
- Always use a stiff buttercream dam when using any kind of filling.
- Hugs Squirrelly
- Vanilla Cream Filling
- To scald milk is to make it hot, but not to the point of boiling it. It has reached the scalding point when bubbles form a ring against the side of the pan but don't appear on the surface ot the liquid.
- This can be made on the top of a double boiler with the bottom section filled with boiled water or directly on the stove in a small heavy bottomed saucepan.
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, scald : 1 cup milk - for best results use whole milk.
- Combine in a small saucepan:
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- Very gradually add your scalded milk and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened. Cover and cook 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into :
- 1 egg, slightly beaten with a fork
- Blend this mixture into the hot mixture and cook for 1 minute longer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and blend in:
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla.
- Let cook. Makes 1 cup filling, enough to fill an 8-10 inch cake.
- Almond Cream - Follow basic recipe but substitute 1/4 tsp. almond extract for the vanilla and add 1/3 cup slivered blanched almonds at the end.
- Banana Cream - follow vanilla cream instructions, but just before serving add 1 banana sliced
- Coconut Cream - Follow recipe but add 1/2 cup desiccated coconut at the end.
- Coffee Cream - Follow vanila instructions, but add 2 tsp. instant coffee powder to the scalded milk.
- Butterscotch Cream - Substitute 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar for the white sugar and follow other instructions.
- Chocolate Cream - Follow vanilla instructions but substitute 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa for the sugar and salt called for in the recipe.
- Always let fillings cool down to room temperature before filling a cake. Refridgerate after filling.