Posted by AnniesEdibles
What can I say about this icing? It's sweet, but not too sweet. It's smooth. It's not greasy. It's light and airy and just melts in your mouth. It adds to the flavor of cakes/cupcakes, not detracts from it. I'm not a fan of frosting/icing. I'm a fan of cake. Too often, I think the copious amounts of icing you find on cake just makes it overly sweet and... Gross. It's distracting! This icing goes perfectly with the banana cake recipe I've posted.
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt (if you use unsalted butter)
- Stir the milk and flour together and mix over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until it thickens. It changes suddenly, so dont walk away from it.
- Set the milk aside to cool.
- Combine the sugar, butter and vanilla in a mixer. Beat on medium speed for 5-10 minutes until the sugar is dissolved and you dont taste the graininess of it any more. I had fairly room-temperature butter, and beat the mixture for about 8 minutes. It was still slightly grainy, but once I added the warm milk mixture, it dissolved perfectly.
- Add the milk mixture to the butter mixture and stir until smooth. The finished texture is surprisingly light and fluffy, considering what went into it.