Posted by martmargI found this recipe online. I was looking for a banana cake recipe because I had some overly ripened bananas. The original recipe didn't call for apple but since I had some apples that were starting to go bad I decided to add them to the recipe. It is a very moist cake and super delicious. I frosted with some vanilla hazelnut buttercream that I had left over but it would go wonderfully with cream cheese frosting.
Banana-Apple Spice Cake
- 3/4 c currants or raisins 1/4 c orange flavored liqueur or orange juice 1 1/4 c granulated sugar 1 c butter or margarine melted 2 large eggs 2 tsp freshly grated orange peel 2 tsp vanilla extract 2 c all purpose flour 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1 tsp ground cinnamon 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg 1/4 tsp ground cloves 3 medium bananas mashed 3/4 c chopped pecans 1 c grated apples
- 1. Heat oven to 325degrees F. Combine raisins (currants) and orange juice (liqueur) in small bowl; let soak for 30 min. Drain well and set aside.
- 2. Combine sugar, butter, eggs, orange peel and vanilla in large bowl. beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low, add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves. Beat until well mixed. Stir in raisins, bananas, apples, and pecans by hand.
- 3. Spoon into greased & floured 9 in. springform pan.
- 4. Bake for 80-90 min. or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 min., remove pan sides and cool completely before frostin.