Posted by dar72This amazing pumpkin roll was an idea I got from a "banana roll" recipe and I just substituted the banana for pumpkin. It's different from other pumpkin rolls because the cream cheese filling is baked into the roll. It's definitely worth trying!!!
Amazing Pumpkin Roll
- Cream cheese filling: 1 - 8 oz. cream cheese 1/2 c sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract 1 egg 3 tbsp milk Cake: 4 egg yolks 1/2 c solid canned pumpkin 1/3 c sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract 1 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp ginger 1/2 tsp nutmeg 1/4 tsp cloves 4 egg whites 1/2 c sugar 1/2 c flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/4 tsp baking soda frosting: 1 - 3 oz cream cheese 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 1/2 c powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Farenheit
- Grease jelly roll pan with margarine (sides too)
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on buttered pan
- spread more margarine or butter over parchment paper
- Cream together cream cheese and 1/2 c sugar. Beat in egg until smooth and creamy. Add milk. Pour mixture onto pan. Careful not to make mixture touch sides of pan...try to keep in the middle of pan.
- In a separate bowl beat egg yolks and vanilla until it is a lemon yellow color. Slowly add sugar and beat well. Add pumpkin and spices and mix well.
- In another bowl beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add 1/2 c sugar and beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder and baking soda then set aside.
- Fold egg white mixture into pumpkin mixture. Fold in flour mixture.
- Carefully pour cake mixture over cream cheese mixture. Spread gently and evenly being careful not to mix the cream cheese into the cake mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cake is golden brown on top. When cake is done turn upside down on clean towel that is dusted with sifted powdered sugar. Remove parchment paper and roll cake from the short end. Leave on towel to cool.
- While cake is cooling beat cream cheese and vanilla until creamy. Add powdered sugar. Spread on top and sides of roll. You may also sprinkle cinnamon for an added spice. Chill until ready to serve. Cut about 1/2 inch thick slices.